Wildlife Rescue Australia was established to support native animal groups and their members throughout Australia. To this end, WRA operates a Call Centre to facilitate the rescue and care of native animals.
Since commencing operations, over 98% of calls to its hotline have been answered – 95% of them within 20 seconds. Members of the public can contact this 24-hour national hotline (staffed by trained phone coordinators) for advice and/or assistance.
WRA does not hold a rehabilitation licence since its members engage only in organising animal rescues. Wherever appropriate, therefore, WRA arranges for native animals in need to be taken into care by licenced persons.
Many calls, however, can be resolved without involving a rescuer or carer, thus reducing the number of calls to licenced groups. For example:
• where an animal is not injured, does not pose a threat to humans or other animals and is not itself in danger, callers can be advised to leave the animal alone; such is often the case with snakes and echidnas;
• where an animal is apparently sick or injured, the caller is often willing to take it to a vet; WRA phone coordinators (PCs) can assist callers in choosing a vet and advise on interim care, if necessary;
• calls for non-native animals can be directed to an appropriate organisation.
Further assistance can be provided to licenced groups
which REGISTER with Wildlife Rescue Australia
☆ If the postcodes for the area serviced by a group are specified:
• calls received by the Call Centre from that area can be re-directed to the group;
• calls received from outside that area can be directed elsewhere.
☆ By providing the names of vet practices (sympathetic to native animals) in the group’s area, this information can be passed on to callers wishing to take an animal to a vet.
☆ By nominating (on the registration form) the animal types for which a group is licenced, calls to a group can be filtered accordingly.
☆ A group wishing to register with WRA should email a copy of the group’s current licence to the Admin Officer.
A licenced group may elect to divert its hotline to the WRA Call Centre
on either a part-time or full-time, temporary or permanent basis
• be used exclusively for rescue calls, i.e. not for personal or admin calls; and
• not be a private (i.e. blocked) number.
☆ Callers ringing the WRA Call Centre directly are given the welcome message: “Thank you for calling Wildlife Rescue Australia. A coordinator will be with you shortly. This call will be recorded for security and training purposes”.
☆ A group wishing to divert its hotline to the WRA Call Centre is issued with a private number, for its exclusively use.
• This enables the group to provide its own personalised welcome message.
• The message must contain the statement “This call will be recorded for security and training purposes”).
• Members of the group are given priority by WRA PCs when calls are received from the group.
• This option incurs a cost of $10 per month, payable to WRA.
☆ When a member of a registered group accepts a rescue call, a copy of the call record is emailed immediately and automatically to the Liaison Officer nominated on the registration form. This record includes:
• a Call ID;
• date call received;
• time call received (NSW and local);
• caller’s first name and phone number;
• animal’s address;
• animal group;
• call notes (made by PC); and
• name of group member who accepted the call.
☆ Records are sent in .csv format, allowing them to be imported readily into either a spreadsheet or database.
☆ Registered groups are able to specify their preferences as to how calls to their members are to be handled. These preferences are accommodated wherever practicable.
☆ Subject to negotiation, a group seeking phone support is required to provide one or more of its members to act as a WRA phone coordinator.
• The number of members is to be calculated at the rate of 1 PC per 1,000 calls per year received by the group.
• Each member is required to be available for phone duty for 8 hours/week.
To register with Wildlife Rescue Australia, please complete this form.